1. Brush frequently. The more often you brush your dog, the more hair you will remove to avoid excess shedding. During the shedding seasons of fall and spring,brush your dog at least twice a week—more if you have time.
2. Bathe often. - A great way to get rid of excess hair is to give your dog frequent baths. Be sure to brush your dog thoroughly before his bath, removing as much hair as you can before you get him wet.
3. Blow dry. - After bathing your dog, towel dry him, and then blow-dry his coat with warm (not hot) air, using a hair dryer. As your dog’s coat becomes dryer, you can use a brush to help remove the loose hair as you dry.
4. Brush after drying. After you have finished drying your dog, brush him thoroughly once again. A lot more hair will come out at this stage of the process, it’s crucial to get this hair now because if you don’t, you’ll find it on your carpet!
5. Consider clipping. - If you live in a warm climate, or have hot summers, and your dog has a thick, profuse coat that sheds often, consider having him clipped. Take him to a professional groomer and request that his coat be shortened, which will reduce the amount of hair that falls out on its own.
6. Give supplements. - You may be able to reduce shedding by supplementing your dog’s diet with Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids not only help reduce shedding, but can contribute to healthy skin, as well as providing other health benefits.
7. Don’t skimp on food. Good nutrition helps reduce shedding, so feeding your dog a quality dog food can help keep loose hair to a minimum. Buy the best food you can for your dog. Premium brands use better quality ingredients, which equal better nutrition for your dog.
8. See a vet. - If your dog seems to be shedding excessively, or is losing hair in patches, he may be suffering from a health problem.
Skin infections, allergies and even cancer can cause excessive shedding in dogs.
Take him to your local veterinarian for an exam.
Lastly make sure to use a high quality deshedding brush like the one from DakPets.
It makes a big difference using a trusted brand.
DakPets original deshedding brush can be purchased here
Comments will be approved before showing up.